Friday, March 16, 2012

Chapter Book no. 7: The Road to Balinor



The Road to Balinor
written by Mary Stanton

Genre: Fantasy/Magic
Subgenre: Adventure

Themes: Adventure, mystery, suspense, friendships, loyalty, destiny, magic, battle between good and evil, responsibility

Primary Characters: Princess Arianna (Ari); her unicorn, Chase; a unicorn named Atalanta
Secondary Characters: Dr. Bohnes (Ari's nurse and Chase's vet), Lincoln (Ari's collie), a spoiled girl named Lori, Ann and Frank (Ari's foster parents)

Published May 1, 1999 by Scholastic
Awards: To my knowledge, this book has not won any awards; however, it appears Mary Stanton has won awards for some of her other works.

I first read this book as an upper-elementary student, and I immediately fell in love with the series and all its characters. As a child I read these books time and time again, never tiring of their adventurous plots. I would use this book in a literature circle. It would best be assigned to readers who express an appreciation for animals and/or adventure when filling out a reading interest inventory. These stories make for great "short-reads" for adults who are looking for a folkloric action-adventure tale with a modern twist! I've recovered the entire series from a box in my attic and am re-reading them currently as a treat. I'm happy to find that I enjoy them now as much as I ever did as an elementary school student! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment